The Mystic Rose

Investigating a feminine perspective in Theology in complete submission to the Magisterium.

Friday, October 07, 2005

Reading at Mass

I love to read out loud, and I especially love to read at mass. A lot of people I've met have a fear of speaking in front of crowds, but it never bothered me quite as much. And it's nice to be complimented on something you really like to do that also lets you share God with other people.

But it's kind of sad too... :( As I've become more orthodox in my beliefs I am beginning to realize that, yes, it's ok that I'm reading, but...ideally...I never should have to. (At least not in the church mass proper). Because ideally...men serve their priestly vocation by leading the mass and women serve in many other vitally important ways, during and outside church... I know that it's not out of a deficiency on my part that I shouldn't actually in an ideal world be a reader at mass, but it is kind of sad to me because I love to do it.

I keep trying to think...the sacrifice of something that small, and really (if I'm honest with myself) that vain, is infinitely worth it when we see how it all actually does fit together to help us understand and give greater glory to God. Similiarly, maybe this can be applied on a larger scale with the changes in society that, as orthodox Catholics we should endeavour to make, that initially seem unfair, or insignificant, or even not our place to say anything about at all.

I think maybe it's hard to see why to take away or change certain things - the removal of which would anger not only radical feminists but also many women who have just happened to have grown up in a world with so many opportunities and certain expectations. It's hard to realize that just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should...and that the cumulative effect of all the little things in our 'equal', liberal, and relativistic society is what can be the most despirate and most despairing.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Silabella said…

    But how exactly would that be necessary to maintain the balance of male/female roles? If men are called by their own particular charism to be leaders in the mass, having a propensity of women doing so would be imbalancing the roles wouldn't it? :( And giving a woman a role just because we think it will give her dignity instead of the Church herself giving her that dignity from years before seems rather along the lines of many feminist reasonings for increased presence of women during the mass in areas where they really shouldn't be (like the priesthood, or deaconite).

    It's so confusing! I'm definitely open to the possibilty that it is a charism to which both sexes are called, I think I just need/need to find some more specific doctrinal justification, you know?

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Velvet said…

    i feel you! i really don't know, i just wanted to consider both sides of it, but i really don't know.. we should look into this more. i miss you alot!

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Velvet said…

    I think you are right. The heart of the issue is probably not about emphasizing women's dignity (but, who knows, that could be part of it). What is it specifically about it that you see as contrary to the role of women? It seems to me that women taking limited authoritative roles in certain points in salvation history is not essentially in contradiction to the role of women (i.e. Deborah, Joan of Arc). At this point it is widely allowed and accepted by the Magesterium, so it seems to me we must trust that it is NOT in contradiction to the role of women (or else it seems the Church would be promoting a mis-truth). Does this make sense or no? I can COMPLETELY see your point when it comes to alter girls. So perhaps you could demonstrate how a woman lecturing contradicts her role more?

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Silabella said…

    Hmm...I have a few thoughts but they're all sort of mashed, about how lecturing would contradict the role of a woman:

    1) (t)radition in the Roman Catholic Church - basically, for thousands of years it wasn't done, and then we go all up and change it. That might be fora good reason, it might not. But I think back to the Eastern Rite churches and the Orthodox Church almost viewing us the lesser because of this change and adaptability, not saying I agree, but still.

    2) Taking away man's role- men have traditionally led church services, as leaders in the pairing, thus reflective in the leading of the mass. Plus the whole priesthood thing. I kinda like that. The Male priest-hood, deaconate/formal lectoring position as preparation for the priesthood is really good.

    3) Contradicts woman's role- this is where I get sketchy and don't quite really know that you can totally contradict me on (which i want!)

    a. Man's helper - is woman helping by lectoring, helping men come to another realization and feeling through scripture? Or hindering because she's taking a man's place, reading scripture, even though inspired by God, that is written by a man.

    b. Leader/follower complex- I'm still trying to figure out how much and in what respect women are called to be leaders, and how that would translate into an orthodox mass. Your article about female leadership was great, but it still poses difficulties for the exact configuration of that leadership in a strictly non-secular, magisterial sense. To what extent is the Church currently reflective of the true complementary and fruitful nature of man and women? If it is not, how is it not? Is it our position to change and/or speak out about that? And What changes would we propose? Would female lectoring constitute a type of female leadership within the magisterium?

     
  • At 5:05 AM, Blogger Silabella said…

    Ahhh me, but to focus on things that only make real objective sense is a little absurd when so much of a woman's thought process, at least, never does ;)

     
  • At 2:57 AM, Blogger Silabella said…

    And...my intellect means nothing and is for nothing if I use it in a way that undermines God.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Velvet said…

    I don't know how I feel abot this Cassie, in that, i'm not sure I would ever think a female lecture was in contradiction to a women's role. Of course, a woman HAS a role, but I don't know if lecturing goes against that role.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger Silabella said…

    3) Contradicts woman's role- this is where I get sketchy and don't quite really know that you can totally contradict me on (which i want!)

    ahhh! I was rereading all our comments to see what else I could add and then I saw this and saw it totally being read wrong. I MEANT to say:

    This is where I don't really know, [insert comma] that you can totally contradict me on. Meaning, i don't know what i'm talking about, you can totally contradict me here please!!

    Ok. I feel better :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home