The Mystic Rose

Investigating a feminine perspective in Theology in complete submission to the Magisterium.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Julian Oratorio

Sunday Night I got to listen to the first public performance of the Julian Oratorio by Roger Mayor! (though it was recorded in 2002) I was very excited :) It was in Norwich Cathedral, and although it was only 6:30, because England's so far north, it was blacker than midnight (the sun sets at 4:30ish as of now, and gets darker the hours before). This was my first introduction to Norwich Cathedral - I hadn't been there yet. It's an Anglican Cathedral now, so I normally go to the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, the Roman Catholic Church, built by the Duke of Norfolk in the 1800s. ( My friend who's a fan of Tudor History informed me that, for England, this is a more Catholic region because the Duke of Norfolk has always traditionally been from a Catholic family. Even during the Reformation, he had Catholic sympathies.)

I'm looking forward to seeing the Cathedral in the daytime, because at night it was absolutely beautiful. On my path to the ladies' I was walking under the stone outer edges of the courtyard, and it was really cool. The Oratorio was a choral work (with instruments) that set the words of Julian of Norwich to music. The acoustics were wonderful and the music powerful. A lovely time was had by all :) (or me at least! hehe)

3 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Velvet said…

    yikes! lol! cassie is back!

     
  • At 4:14 AM, Blogger Silabella said…

    boo yeah girl ;) I was in Ireland for the week! I'm back now though :p

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Velvet said…

    oh my gosh cassie i have so much to write about on here i just need to organize my thoughts first lol coming soon to a blog near you... hahahha!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home